Well, I never went to summer camp, but since my youngest daughter is still at one being a camp counselor, I thought I'd do this Friday Five.
Mother Laura at RevGalsBlogPals brought forth these thoughts about summer camp:
1. Did you go to sleep away camp, or day camp, as a child? Wish you could? Or sometimes wish you hadn't?
Growing up on military bases, I don't remember hearing about camp or about anyone I knew going to one. Somehow, camp was not in my consciousness.
2. How about camping out? Dream vacation, nightmare, or somewhere in between?
Probably because my dad was in the Marine Corps, we were not a family who ever camped out.
Then living in Texas with our children, it always seemed too hot to go camping anywhere. Plus, I had not experience, and we had no camping equipment. CB never even suggested it.
3. Have you ever worked as a camp counselor, or been to a camp for your denomination for either work or pleasure?
Only MJ has worked as a camp counselor this summer at Laity Lodge Youth Camp in Leakey, TX.
First United Methodist Church here in Corpus Christi has an annual summer camp called CAC--Christian Adventure Camp, which is up near LLYC. In 1995 I attended the Junior High CAC as one of the cooks, with DC and AE there. It was my one year to go to camp, and I discovered that I like to sleep too much to be there. I get very grumpy without enough sleep, which is not possible to get while at camp.
Our introduction to CAC and to FUMC was oldest son going to CAC unexpectedly in 1992. He was visiting friends in Corpus Christi when my mother suddenly died. In fact, he was on the flight there the morning we discovered that she had died. We decided that 13 year old DC should stay in Corpus Christi with his friends. One family got him to go with their son to CAC, and DC really liked it.
I'm not a camper, but my kids have all gone to CAC (though AE did it only that one time that I did). MJ is going again next week as a graduated senior to be a JACIT (junior adult counselor in training).
4. Most dramatic memory of camp, or camping out?
My only experience camping out was when CB and I lived in Oregon; he was going to grad school at OSU and I was teaching at Eddyville School (250 kids in grades K-12). With two other couples connected to the Chemistry Department graduate school, we went on a backpacking trip in the mountains. All I remember about it was the plethora of mosquitoes. They were everywhere, and we did not have a good bug repellent. I remember going out to pee in the "wilds" at night and being swarmed and bitten by mosquitoes. That was over 30 years ago, and that's all I can remember. Too bad.
5. What is your favorite camp song or songs? Bonus points if you link to a recording or video.
No points--I don't know what songs are camp songs.
10 comments:
Oooh... I love Oregon, except the mosquitoes! Though it must have been relatively dry (for oregon standards) if you camping memories do not include soggy socks!
Peace!
Wow, another member of the anti-camp contingent--and I can see why!
I too, like the parakeet in the mine, am the mosquito magnet.
I feel like you should come to adult camp with me---where sleep is plentiful! There is something particularly funny about going to camp at a place called Leakey!
This is so odd. It was raining this morning, and the sound of the rain on the roof gave me a flashback to summer church camp.
I was always desperately homesick whenever I went.
oooh, mosquitoes can be a BAD memory. I got very bitten up on my first night "in the wild."
As for camp songs, there are some specific ones, but a camp song is anything you sing at camp! You probably know some, and don't know you know :)
great play!
I posted a short clip you could steal, then you could get your bonus points.
Good play.
I went to Girl Scout camp one summer and to Fifth grade camp (or was it 6th?)....and I camped a bit in college (1975-77)....but not once since then....I can go rustic if it includes a cabin with plumbing and electricity and decent mattresses...I DO love the mountains and woods and being away from everyone...just not away from creature comforts...
I forget that you come from a Military family...that changes everything, I think...all the moving....
I'm on the board of directors for a Quaker camp here in Wisconsin. Both of my daughters had gone for 2 weeks every summer between the ages of 9 and 12, and they loved it. It is very rustic, but they didn't seem to mind. My oldest, now 19, is a lot more finicky than she used to be.
I never went to camp, but I used to want to go. We did epic family road trips instead.
Now we do an annual camping trip with a large group of people. We go to a state park on Lake Michigan accessible only by passenger ferry. No cars. No bikes. My favorite part about camping is hearing the birds in the morning.
Yes, Jan, we are "sisters in the anti-camp mode" for sure !!
Post a Comment