Saturday, July 19, 2008

Emptiness & Spaciousness of the Present Moment


“I also try to remind myself of what I know from experience: the two most important facts about the spaciousness of the present moment. No matter how full of wonder or how empty and barren the moment seems, it is always sufficient. And no matter how much exquisite joy or pain I may feel in the moment, it will never be more than I can bear.

“The emptiness of the spaciousness of the present moment is sufficient. It contains everything that is needed for lovingly beginning the next moment; it seeks only our own willing, responsive presence, just here, just now. And we can bear whatever experience we have in the spaciousness of this present moment. If we project it into the future it may seem impossible, but just here, just now, it is not too much. There are no exceptions—not physical pain, not in psychiatric disorder or emotional agony, not in relational strife, not in war, not in oppression, not in loss, not in spiritual aching, not in dying. Love is too much with us for there to be any exceptions.” (109-110)


May, Gerald G. The Awakened Heart: Opening Yourself to the Love You Need. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco, 1991.

5 comments:

Fran said...

Oh Jan- this is amazing. Thank you.

Katherine Doerge said...

Thanks for the welcome back.

And thanks for the post. I am reminded of the question that arises in "present moment spaciousness": What do I have to offer to this moment?

There's so much creativity and freedom in that kind of acceptance.

Sherry said...

I'm always so amazed that after some horrible tragic event, I often feel that I don't know how I got through it, but as you say, in the moment, we do, moment by moment. God holds on tightly to us, and we manage. Given what emotional and physical pain we can endure in that moment, it reminds me at least how much I need to think about what I can deliberately bring to it as well, in terms of joy and peace. Thanks for a wonderful meditation.

I don't know why, but your comments seem only to allow me to post as a google member. I no longer use my google blogspot blog, sigh...hehe.

Amalee Issa said...

Spaciousness and emptiness... I like your post, Jan, most thought-provoking.

Amalee

Jen-Jenny-Jennifer said...

OMG!!! You totatlly struck to the core of my repulsion from meditation. I know it's good for me, I know I get great results from it, but I CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! :-)