Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Let Go

When our weekly lectio divina group met today, we prayed with Isaiah 7:13-15:

7:13 Then Isaiah said: "Hear then, O house of David! Is it too little for you to weary mortals, that you weary my God also?


7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.


7:15 He shall eat curds and honey by the time he knows how to refuse the evil and choose the good.


This brought to mind a toddler and so I remembered a picture of the child Jesus sweeping, which then reminded me of a week of lectures given by Wendy Wright at the Two Year Spiritual Formation Academy a few years ago. One day she spoke of the Sacred Heart and showed some medieval pictures of a golden haired child Jesus in a heart. Odd though that seems, I was greatly struck by the picture of Jesus sweeping out the heart.

This is a beautiful image of how to let go--let go of expectations, judgments, worries, whatever, all of which may arise during family gatherings that won't fit into the Norman Rockwell image of perfection. I so want everyone to be happy, but I have no way of controlling other people's emotions. Let go, sweep out my false image of control! I am hoping that I can remember the image of the child Jesus sweeping away whatever I need to let go of, remembering that Immanuel (God with us) is here.

The image “http://farmchronicles.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/1943-03-06-saturday-evening-post-norman-rockwell-article-freedom-from-want-430-digimarc.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

5 comments:

Fran said...

I love Isaiah... and your lectio sounds so inviting. It is a practice I long to return to.

Please know that although I have been away, you are never far from my thoughts or prayers. Especially when I am reading my Advent prayerbook Jan.

Peace, He is near.

Terri said...

It's so cool you get to do lectio weekly...

I gave up on Norman Rockwell years ago, never was the right image for my family...

Episcopollyanna said...

Jan, I LOVE your blog! I'm so glad you came by.

I spent some time practicing Lectio today too and it was wonderful - perfect for Advent. God bless.

Crimson Rambler said...

Thank you for the thought of the "swept heart" ... and I've tagged you for "Favourite Things"...!

Rev SS said...

Sweeping = great image. And, like mompriest, I too gave up Norman Rockwell years ago.