Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Art to go along with Scripture

Every week I go to the Vanderbilt Divinity Library Revised Common Lectionary site to look at the scripture selections for the coming Sunday. I choose from them the short section of verses that we will meditate upon in our weekly lectio divina group. (It meets on every Wednesday morning, which is why I am doing this on Tuesday night!)

I was so surprised to find a link to a collection of art that matches with different scriptural passages! This is how they phrase this:

Click here to search the Art in the Christian Tradition database for images related to these texts.

The gospel for the second Sunday in Advent is Matthew 3:1-12. Here is one of the pictures selected for this passage. It is from Cameroon, Africa.
John the Baptist preaching in the desert.  JESUS MAFA  Click to enter image viewer  Use the Save button to add this image to the current active slide tray.

5 comments:

Terri said...

I love that link. I've used it for sermons and preached using the artwork and talking about the artists. I remember doing one last summer talking about Picasso and cubism...

also, stop by the Feminist Blog linked at my blog...and read what I wrote for Advent 2. Leave a comment or a critique...

Jan said...

I'm so glad to learn of this link. It's nice to know that you already have been using it!

I'll be visiting Feminist Blog tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me.

Fran said...

I have not seen this before, but it is something I will be looking at again and again.

Thank you Jan!

Anonymous said...

Jan, this is awesome. (And we're thinking along the same lines again . . . art!)

Gannet Girl said...

What a great resource!

Textweek links to art, too.