http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/video/2007/dec/09/video
1 / 20 To see the gallery of pictures, go here. Click to go to the next picture.
Twin boys Itohowo and Kufre stand surrounded by angry villagers who believe they are bringing evil to their lives
Photograph: Robin Hammond/The Observer- Evangelical pastors are helping to create a terrible new campaign of violence against young Nigerians. Children and babies branded as evil are being abused, abandoned and even murdered while the preachers make money out of the fear of their parents and their communities
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tracy McVeigh in Esit Eket
Sunday December 9, 2007
The Observer
The rainy season is over and the Niger Delta is lush and humid. This southern edge of West Africa, where Nigeria's wealth pumps out of oil and gas fields to bypass millions of its poorest people, is a restless place. In the small delta state of Akwa Ibom, the tension and the poverty has delivered an opportunity for a new and terrible phenomenon that is leading to the abuse and the murder of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of children. And it is being done in the name of Christianity.
Watch the video: Child 'witches' in Africa, and click here to see a related gallery.
When I posted the cartoon below this, I had no idea of the stark reality of the wish such children have to grow up.
How can Christianity promote such killings? Salem Witch trials but with CHILDREN!
I wish I could rant like Fran or my daughter, but I am so appalled and horrified that I am speechless.
8 comments:
LORD HAVE MERCY! Makes me feel ill... and SO ANGRY ... and helpless and ...
Me, too, Serena, me, too.
OMG, sorry. But I can't read it...(crying now...) - those beautiful little kids....
Oh dear... I saw this the other day and watched the video. I wept and wept. It is horrifying at many levels.
That these people are calling themselves Christians is one thing... To hurt children in this way is beyond my comprehension.
saw this at Grandmere Mimi's a few days ago...it's just awful... I wonder if some of these "pastors" are the ones who sheep steal from other churches...
just heard about some wonderful ministries in Nigeria over at Proclaiming Softly...
There are things I wish I could turn away from and not know. This is one of them. How horrible.
Pax, C.
I felt exactly as Cecilia did. This is possibly the worst news news story I've ever seen. I'm praying for the children; please post if you learn of any reputable charity that wants to help them.
My God. I don't think Christianity is promoting these killings; ignorance is.
Lord have mercy.
Post a Comment