Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Holding the Christ Child

http://www.si.edu/MCI/images/SantosPhotos/scmre39.jpg
San José con el Niño Jesús
: Saint Joseph with the Christ Child
Overview
Eulogio Ortega
1980s, New Mexico
Bulto
Courtesy of Millicent Rogers Museum Permanent Collection

Instead of always adoring the Christ child, it is nice to see him held!

There are various religious paintings and works of art in the Santos: Substance & SoulPhoto Gallery of the Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute.

There are lovely pieces to look at. Partly because there is a small exhibit of parisioners' images of the Virgin of Guadalupe at my church, I was especially attracted to this Virgin of Guadalupe from the above site.

Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe/Our Lady of Guadalupe
Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe : Our Lady of Guadalupe Overview
Rose Leitner
1997, New Mexico
Retablo
The Spanish Colonial Arts Society Museum, Santa Fe, New Mexico

When you have the time, visit the museum links, too.

6 comments:

Fran said...

In my collection of religious art, I have more than a few items from New Mexico. There is so much beautiful stuff from there.

This is a sweet post - thank you!

Rachel said...

love this - thank you!

Katherine E. said...

Jan, you are amazing. I'm just so grateful that you are blogging. (I should have posted about THAT last night!) It's just so good to be able to get up this morning and go to your blog...helps me a lot!

Annie's Mom said...

I love all your pictures of beautiful iconography. Thank you for posting them!

Crimson Rambler said...

Jan, you enrich and beautify our lives so much -- thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love the Virgin of Guadalupe, too.

This is a beautiful post--that little statue is gorgeous!