Monday, December 17, 2007

Choose to Learn

"The best things for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something. That's the only thing that never fails. You may grow old and trembling in your anatomies, you may lie awake at night listening to the disorder of your veins, you may miss your only love, you may see the world about you devastated by evil lunatics, or know your honor trampled in the sewers of baser minds. There is only one thing for it then--to learn. Learn why the world wags and what wags it. That is the only thing which the mind can never exhaust, never alienate, never be tortured by, never fear or distrust, and never dream of regretting. Learning is the thing for you."

T. H. White, The Once and Future King


I think we each have to learn about outer and inner worlds. Look to the world and see "why the world wags and what wags it." BUT also look to your own inner world and see "why the world wags and what wags it." Only looking outside ourselves does not bring the change that helps us to bring acceptance and recognition to relationships, which form our immediate world. Learning why one gets angry or fearful or even happy is a step towards inner peace, which radiates outward--Is the feeling warranted or is it a reaction from childhood patterns that we fall into without realizing? What do I want to foster in my life? Feeling blamed; criticism of others; judgement of self? Noticing others; seeing the good; growing into the person I am meant to be?

Learning is the openness to the possibilities of the moment. What can I learn from you when you disagree with me? What is under the anger? What can I learn when there is only agreement? What can I learn when I am unhappy? bored? tired? in pain? Do I look for the possibilities or do I slam into the hard door of me, me,me--IMPORTANT ME and look no more?

Do I want to be stuck in this emotion or attitude? Is this how I want to live? I have to be aware enough of myself to make a choice, even if I am stuck in whatever way I am living or acting. This is the process of growing up, and I still need to grow up at my advanced age--there is always more to learn!

This reminds me of the 12-Step aphorism:
AWARENESS--ACCEPTANCE--ACTION

This is the process for change, for growth, and even for repentance.

And here is a little poem that I jotted down:

This or that
not
This and that
Which is my choice?
Both block me
into a box
alone
that's cozy
for awhile
Until I remember
that I'm alone
lost
in the great I Am

6 comments:

Katherine E. said...

This is great,Jan. "Learning is openness to the possibilities of the moment." Yes indeed! Thank you!

June Butler said...

Jan, a lovely reflection on the wise words of T. H. White. Nice little jotting, too - very nice.

Doorman-Priest said...

Thank you. Thought provoking and eloquent.

Fran said...

Oh Jan, this is lovely and such a provocative post for me to return to.

Your poem really stirred me.

Thank you!

Crimson Rambler said...

I LOVE that T. H. White quotation...it's right there in my meta-canon, with the paragraph by Gregory Dix on the Eucharist.

Sybil Archibald said...

Beautiful poem & post thanks!