Monday, October 22, 2007

Soup

bowl-of-soup.jpg

Even though we have leftover spaghetti from last night, I decided to make a pot of soup today, with the cool wind blowing in through the windows. From the good old La Leche League cookbook Whole Foods for the Whole Family, I made hamburger soup, with lots and lots of vegetables. It's simmering on the stove right now.

I love making soup. I remember when we lived in RI and NJ, the kids got tired of having soup so often for dinner. One of the last times my mother ever visited me (in RI), she and I took a cooking class in a kitchen store in little, charming Wickford and learned to make a peanut butter squash soup. The reaction of my children about that was not complimentary; they still talk about that "awful" soup I made back when DC was in 7th grade, AE was in 4th, and BJ was in 1st. (MJ was only 2 and doesn't remember it at all.) It's become a funny story in our family.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep coming across references to that cookbook. I'm going to have to try it!

Suzy said...

I love that cookbook, as you know. Pork chops and brown rice was a standby in our house, until Sparkly Seacow decided that pigs are her favorite animal and now refuses to eat pork. It's a hardship for me. I love pork! Mr. Ether says it's because I'm Jewish by birth, and it's the forbidden fruit. Ha.

And soup? We live on soup from November - April. Cheesy corn chowder -- that's another one from the good book, that we all enjoy.

Hey, Jan -- have you read the book by Polly Horvath, "Everything On A Waffle"? You might really enjoy it.

Fran said...

That sounds like a great cookbook! I love soup and will admit to having it for not only dinner and lunch, but sometimes even breakfast too. Don't tell!

In a small 6 degrees matter, I used to date someone who lived near Wickford. We were always going to go there (long distance-ish as he was in RI and I was in NY) but it never happened. It does look charming! I do love RI in general.

Diane M. Roth said...

I used to have Cooking More with Less, which has some good soup recipes, but I'm going to have to find this one!

Jennifer said...

Jan, I love to make soup, too.
I'm going to have to get the cookbook you mentioned.
I used to cook from Living More with Less and loved it...

Jan said...

Suzy, I looked up the waffle book on amazon and think it looks charming. I bet I'd like to read it!

Fran, how interesting that you have a sort of connection to Wickford.

I need to look up Cooking more with Less now. Thanks to you all for stopping by!

Miss Kim said...

Mmmm I love soup too and this week the weather has been that "perfect soup weather". I made a yummy curried lentil soup yesterday and there's enough left over for dinner again tonight! Yum yum!

Suzy said...

Re:More With Less. I met a woman this summer who goes to the Mennonite Church here. I asked her if she was raised Mennonite, and she said, no, she's a "cookbook Mennonite", thtat is, someone who was converted to the religion through the More With Less cookbook! I thought that was really funny. It's sort of like becoming a Mormon because you like Jello.

zorra said...

I love making soup, too. Thank goodness it's finally soup weather. I made lentil/sausage/kale soup yesterday.

"More with Less" is my all-time favorite cookbook. If you have it, try their black bean soup!

Terri said...

I eat soup. But I never go out of my way to make it or eat it. And, if I do, it's a lunch time meal.

I've always wondered why I feel that way about soup....but I do.

Still, that peanut butter squash soup was probably really good!

Jan said...

Thanks to you all, I've ordered the "More with Less" cookbook from amazon and it should arrive in a few days. Thanks for visiting!

Magdalene6127 said...

Soup is one of the great pleasures of fall and winter for me... and it has been so warm, I have yet to make a pot. Soon, though!

Lovely illustration, too.

Mags