Monday, October 29, 2007

Snail Mail

The image “http://www.welovemvcs.com/snailmail.gif” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
I'm thinking of mailing addresses today, because I wrote new ones in my address book for my two sons. The pages in that category have many crossed out addresses, because of the numerous moves they have made since being in college. That also goes for my daughter in Seattle. I remember when CB and I moved a lot, even after getting married, and so we had various addresses. I always assumed my "permanent" address or connection would be that of my parents' in Bellingham, WA, but they died and so that address is not a way to reach me anymore.

I wonder how many people actually have paper address books now. Perhaps snail mail is a thing of the past and the way to stay connected is through e-mail addresses. The internet is much faster than snail mail, but the receiving of a paper envelope, holding it, seeing the handwriting, and opening it is a much more sensuous process than looking at an e-mail. Identifying someone's handwriting can bring their presence to mind vividly--that's what still happens to me when I happen to see either of my parents' handwriting on something long-forgotten.

I love receiving "real" letters and cards that I find in my mailbox attached to my house. However, I notice that both my husband CB and son BJ will leave a handwritten envelope lying around without opening it for days. They don't seem to value handwritten items as I do.

Maybe that's because I grew up moving around in the 1950's and 1960's as my dad was transferred to different military bases. It was cost prohibitive then to make long distance phone calls, and so letter writing was the way to stay in touch with friends and family. I remember my dad would sit at his black typewriter every Sunday and type a letter to his mother. After my mother died, I found a notebook of the letters that she had written home during WWII to her parents that her mother had saved. (Both my parents were Marines in WWII)

I guess I won't change and will continue to mail cards and letters to people, so I need my paper address book! (In fact, that's what I wrote about in a long ago standardized test for a TX teaching certificate--The question was what would I miss the most if I lost it, and I wrote about my address book!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane M. Roth said...

glad I came here and got wyld's address. I'll send a postcard too!
I love this email blog stuff, but I miss real mail. not just postcards. I used to write and receive LETTERS, especially during the summers in college.

Fran said...

I used to love real mail and had so many pen pals when I was a kid.

I still love real mail but get so little of it other than bills and junk mail.

That said, I used to be much better at sending cards and so forth. Now, not so much.

I am going to send Wyld a postcard too.

This is timely for me because as Mr He Is and Fran I am merge households we have discussed this.

He is a very paper oriented guy- almost never uses a computer. He has his neat little address book.

I don't have to tell you how computer-y I am...And my address book is awash with envelope corners and assorted scraps hanging out of it.

What a metaphor for our life!

Great post Jan- as always, you touch things so beautifully.

Unknown said...

Mail is always fun when deployed.

Anonymous said...

I love receiving handwritten stuff, too. I almost never get anything anymore, though, so never check the mailbox--I let my husband do it (who, for some reason, still gets excited to check the mail although all we ever get are bills and junk).