The last birthday I had before my dad died in 2002, he sent me an email telling me about my birth. I treasure it and was afraid I would not find it in old folders, but did. I saw a man driving a truck while smoking a pipe today and thought of my father. He smoked a pipe until he had growths in his mouth when I was newly married and stopped. I guess I'm remembering my parents as I face another birthday. (My mother died in 1992) I still miss them at times, odd moments like this. Maybe I miss them more because I have no siblings, but I do have my dear CB and four wonderful children.
Here's my dad's email from his webtv:
Hope this is one of your best ones and you have many more.
I can remember October 25, l950, very clearly and will tell you again a little about it. Your mother and I were living on Ohio Street in Bremerton, Wa., while I was an out patient at the USNH recuperating from a wound I recd in Korea. It was approx thiis time of day when there was a ripping sound from your mother's stomach. She then said I had better take her to the USNH. We arrived at the hospital and could not find a parking place. So your mother said she would go in and see the Doctor and be right out so I could double park. After waiting a few minutes in the car,a Navy Corpsman ran out to me and said your wife is having a baby. What a suprise because you were not due for a month or so. Your were born premature a few minutes later and had to remain in the hospital where we visited you daily for several weeks. When they let us bring you home they gave us boxes of food etc for you but did not tell us until we found out later that the nurses were playing with you all night and you would be sleeping all day thus you would be doing the same after we got you home.
At any rate it was one of the most wonderful things that could happened to your mother and I. I know she would be just as proud of you as I am. Just wish she could be with us today.
~~~~~~~~~~This was the only time I ever remember my dad telling me about my birth. I'm very glad he did before he died.
10 comments:
How beautiful, Jan. Thank you for sharing this. Isn't that what we all want--affirmation from our parents? Some people never get it. Thank God you did, and in such a lovely way. Bless his soul.
this is very precious
Garten and Diane, thank you.
Jan, what a beautiful story! the relationship between fathers and daughters is very precious! My dad has been gone for ten years, and I still imagine I hear his voice around the house!
Thanks for sharing!
Oh my Lord, what a story. This is extraordinary. So beautiful.
Thank you so much for sharing it with us. And many thanks be to God for sending Jan to this earth to share this and so much more!
Happy Almost Birthday!
Its the 25th here, so Happy Birthday and many more.
Thank you for sharing this.
Jan, what a wonderful story from your Dad! And, I presume that Thursday is your birthday - a day after and five years earlier/later than mine.
May God's blessings be upon you as you continue your journey. I look forward to reading more of your blog.
Oh, HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FRIEND! Lovely story about your dad; thanks or sharing it.
How are you celebrating?
I second all that has already been said.
Dear Jan, Happy birthday to you!
I count your place in my life all joy.
Post a Comment