Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Intention and Attention

http://sargentsteam.com/images/Toothbrush-on-tile-225.gif
I keep remembering a story my friend MTH told me about Sister Marie, hermit, at Lebh Shomea. MTH visited there to get some books for a retreat and went looking for Sr. Marie, who has been her spiritual director for years. She looked all over for her and finally found Sr. Marie in the basement bathroom in the Big House (Sarita Kenedy mansion) where she was on her hands and knees cleaning the bathroom. And MTH said Sister Marie was glowing as she worked.

That image keeps reminding of how I want to live: in love with God in all I do, offering myself. I'm afraid cleaning bathrooms is something I begrudgingly do and wonder why I cannot offer myself to at least my family! This new perspective can help me to ask God to aid me as I work to alter my attitude. As we discussed in the Wisdom Class today, it is about attention and intention.

Jane Vennard quotes a student in her chapter "Praying with Our Actions" in Embracing the World: Praying for Justice and Peace:

"I think that our task is to bring love, intention, and attention to our actions. When we do this, God will turn our actions into prayers. We don't make our actions prayer; God does." (39)


The image of glowing Sr. Marie cleaning the bathroom is one that will remind me and teach me to offer myself in the next necessary thing--in attention and intention.

4 comments:

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I really like Jane Vennard's books.
Thanks for this great quote.

(I tagged you over at my place if you are interested)

Anonymous said...

This is a great reminder. I love Brother Lawrence's teachings about doing everything, even chores, for God, and hope that someday I will be able to make all my actons prayer. To do everything for God--wow!

I like Vennard's point that "We don't make our actions prayer; God does."

-gartenfische

Anonymous said...

One of my friends spent time in Sarita and I hear it is a beautiful place. "Glowing" while do the essential. I like that.

Fran said...

I am so deeply moved. Thank you.