Monday, October 29, 2007

The Golden Compass

book cover
So far this week, I have received four e-mails about the danger of this book series and the upcoming movie. They even cite Snopes.com that has a report on the claim that "The 2007 film The Golden Compass is based on a series of books with anti-religious claims." This report states that the author is an atheist and various groups, including the Catholic League, have condemned the book for "selling atheism to kids."

Three of my children have read the entire series and enjoyed all three of the books. Almost 18 year old MJ is telling me (as I write this) that it's a fiction book taking place in another world with corrupt adults connected with a church too concerned with "original sin." MJ says it reminds her of stories she's heard of the Church in medieval ages. She also says it is a Dark vs Light story.

I remember getting flaming e-mails about the Harry Potter books in years past. I read those books and found nothing wrong with them. So I am reserving judgment about these books until I read them. I trust my children's opinions. (They are 25, 22, and almost 18 years old). Two adult friends have recommended these books to me, too. So I have started reading The Golden Compass (as if I have nothing else to read right now!).

Have you read any of His Dark Materials Trilogy (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass)? What is your opinion?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I havent read them yet, but please give us a review when you finish.

Anonymous said...

Jan, I loved The Golden Compass. So did my daughter. I believe she read the others, and liked them, too. I intended to read them all, but never got around to it. It'll be interesting to see what you think.

Fran said...

This gets my blood boiling.

Bill Donohue and the Catholic League have very little to do but run around in Pharasiac fashion all freaking day long. I wonder what ol' Billy thought when he heard the Gospel last Sunday.


No I have never read these, but you will be delighted to hear that they were referred to me by a former nun! I also know kids- friends' kids and my nieces/nephews, who have read them and loved them.

As MJ said... It is fiction. And the point of the preoccupation with original sin as part of the plot is delicious to me. Irony is so frequently lost, isn't it?

This genre is not my thing- I have not read Potter or these. That said, I have a feeling that the God I love and worship is big enough to let a few books be read.

Dark arts? How about all the negativity of Donohue and others that would want to shut down almost everything.

So while I have no review for you I have a ringing endorsement from the Fran's Catholic Bookshelf.

Read them. Enjoy them. Follow what we are told... Love the Lord your God with all your heart and your neighbor as yourself. Love your enemies, care for the poor.

You know, just try to be nice. I think that is a theology that works.

Jan said...

Wyldth1ng, Garten, and Fran, thanks for commenting. Garten, I'm glad you and your daughter have read it (and others for her). Fran, it always helps me to read your comments, esp. as being a Protestant, I don't even know what the "Catholic League" is. Organizations like that "sound" imposing somehow, which is probably why they are quoted in situations like this.

I've read about 1/3 of "The Golden Compass" and so far see nothing negative. It's exciting and engrossing. Will write more when I've finished it.

Fran said...

Bill Donohue and the Catholic League are the biggest bunch of angry, bitter, closed minded bloviating blowhards ever.

Except that when I say that I sound like a blowhard too!

Which I can kind of be. Gift and sin are one coin with two sides are they not?

Annie's Mom said...

Great books, great series... I highly recommend them to any and all folks who love children's lit.

Diane M. Roth said...

I tried reading the first one a long time ago and couldn't get into it. I think it was December and with Advent & Christmas I just couldn't concentrate.

hope you enjoy!

p.s. books were recommended to me by a lovely teenager -- very Christian young woman. don't seem to have harmed her faith a bit.