Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Dorothy Day on the defeatist attitude

As mentioned in the Kinky Boots! post, it is sometimes easy to fall into a defeatist attitude. Dorothy Day from readings out of The Class of Nonviolence writes about futility in the essay entitled The Scandal of the Works of Mercy:

"One of the greatest evils of the day is the sense of futility. Young people say, 'What can one person do? What is the sense of our small effort?" They cannot see that we can only lay one brick at a time, take one step at a time; we can be responsible only for the one action of the present moment. But we can beg for an increase of love in our hearts that will vitalize and transform these actions, and know that God will take them and multiply them, as Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes."

I once had a friend who loved to point out moments of "synchronicity," which always irritated me. However, finding this quote of Dorothy Day's right after I wrote about an aspect of futility that was overcome in "Kinky Boots" seems to fit that Jungian word. My friend Judy D. must be chuckling at me off in the Divine Beyond.

3 comments:

Processing Counselor said...

I don't know enough about Dorothy Day, except that she had a great cottage on the beach that was the subject of some controversy a couple of years ago. But the people I've met from the Catholic Workers house seem to be a bit out there. I love the quote, however.

Fran said...

Dorothy Day is one of my heroes. She was an amazing woman.

This is a great post and a reminder that each of us matters.

Beautiful. Thank you!

ps- I agree with the synchonicity... it is funny how things come up just when we need them!

Yolanda said...

I so agree with this post. Thanks for sharing it.