Sunday, August 28, 2011

Which way to go?

After two months of travel and other stuff, I finally saw my rheumatologist on Thursday. You may recall that I was diagnosed with RA in May. Since June 1, I have been taking a weekly dose of Methotextrate, which has gradually been increased to the highest oral dosage possible. However, Dr. P. says that it has had no effect on my RA since I have not been able to reduce my daily intake of prednisone--even a 2.5 mg. reduction causes increased swelling, pain and redness in my hand joints and wrists.

So he advised me to consider taking one of three TNF Blockers: Enbrel, Humira, or Remicade. The first two are given by self-injection and the last by IV's. I am worried about adverse side effects with the TNF Blockers, especially allergic skin reactions at injection/ infusion sites and infections. It sounds like the skin reactions are more likely to occur, which could be minor or severe. Getting TB or pneumonia is scary, especially because I had pneumonia in 1993 and was sick for a long time.

A friend told me that this might not be my decision but that of my insurance company's. That is an interesting thought. I guess I have to get to the point to suggest one or at least talk to my doctor again with questions.

When considering that RA is a chronic disease, this decision could impact much of the rest of my life--if it works on me.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Dear Jan, I am sorry you have such hard stuff to ponder with such dire implications.
I need to write to you off blog-- I've been accepted by a program and Sandy C-M is in my group as well!
Also, I'm reading a wonderful book in which Lebh Shomea plays a key part. You are popping up everywhere!

Unknown said...

Jan, just wanted to say I've been on Humira since December, and although I am a person with a history of sensitive skin, I've had absolutely no trouble at the injection sites at all. Don't be afraid of the biologics. You just have to take good care of yourself, which frankly you have to do taking methotrexate anyway. I felt much of the concern I hear in your post, but the up sides have outweighed the worries for me.
And if a needle-phobe such as myself can manage the injectable, I think anyone can.
Best to you as you work through this decision.