Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Naming

Today I was pleased to have my former Tai Chi instructor call me by name in the HEB Supermarket! I have not been in her weekly class since unexplained pain started in January, and I quit Tai Chi because I thought maybe the stretching was causing me to hurt. That was before I was diagnosed with RA.

I was so happy to be remembered that I recalled how my children's kindergarten teacher, Margy Hoffman, told me how important it was to call each child by name. She was someone who knew how to listen with her whole being, helped along with her acknowledging the person she was with.

I struggle with people's names these days, seeming to easily forget. At least, with age and white hair, I am more ready to show my imperfection by asking what a person's name is--over and over!

Virginia, the Tai Chi instructor, noticed me before I saw her. So awareness and attention go together in honoring someone. I am glad I was reminded of what a gift is lavished on someone with saying his/her name and listening. . . .paying attention.

3 comments:

Terri said...

Coming into a new parish one of the first things I do is practice remembering people names. I do this by repeating their name back to them when we meet: when someone says, Hi I'm Terri. I say back, Nice to meet you, Terri!

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I like this post! I think people really are hungry to hear their own names.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

"I have called you by name, you are mine." -- Isaiah 43:1