Friday, August 26, 2011

Friday Five: Rainy Day


Sally brings today's Friday Five to RevGalBlogPals:

How about you do you do on a rainy summers day?

Rain is much different in TX than it is in my home state of WA. Down here, there usually seems to be a drought, plus rain comes in buckets. In WA, there are often continuous drizzle and/or gray days. No wonder there are glorious flowers and lush greenery in WA State!

So I am addressing rain in Corpus Christi, TX:

1. At home?
Yesterday was our first rainfall in over two months. Torrential rain fell from thunderstorms, and we all loved it! The UPS man delivered a book to me, grinning all the way to my doorstep and saying he hoped he'd bring more rain tomorrow, which is doubtful since it is supposed to reach up to 100 degrees F.

Yesterday I started reading my new book: G-Dog and the Homeboys: Father Greg Boyle and the Gangs of East Los Angeles by Celeste Fremon, purchased because I found Father Greg Boyle's book Tattoos on the Heart so powerful.

2. In your local area?
Rain here is usually so heavy that it is nice to be inside. Streets sometimes flood on that rare instances, and thus I would rather be at home. And reading is always a good choice of activity for me!

3. If you are away on holiday?
It depends where we are. Usually in WA, we forge ahead and do whatever activity is planned, unless there is heavy rain. When we were on our extended vacation, it rained while we drove through Glacier National Park--we kept going, but were glad we were inside a car and not on a motorcycle!

4. Name a rainy day read.
I am wishing I still had the Hunger Games Trilogy left to read, so I know any of those three books would be wonderful to have on a rainy day. Cuddle down and read!! I wrote about those books here.

5. Is there a piece of music/ a poem/ story that cheers you up?
Not sure, but I'm in too much of a hurry and will try to come back to do this!

1 comment:

Sally said...

Having lived in Texas I know the kind of rain you are talking about, and it certainly rains differently to here!

Thanks for the book links, I now have more reads on my wish list :-)