Friday, July 30, 2010

Will I remember "The Eating Guidelines"?

I hope I am not overwhelmed with food like this on my vacation! Since beginning at Weight Watchers last fall, I have lost over 25 pounds. I am happy about this, but also know from past experience how easily I can over-eat on vacations. I am hoping that I will keep in mind what Geneen Roth wrote in her newest book Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything:

THE Eating Guidelines
  1. Eat when you are hungry
  2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment. This does not include the car.
  3. Eat without distractions. Distractions include radio, television, newspapers, books, intense or anxiety-producing conversations or music.
  4. Eat what your body wants.
  5. Eat until you are satisfied.
  6. Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.
  7. Eat with enjoyment, gusto and pleasure.
Roth, Geneen. Women, Food and God: An Unexpected Path to Almost Everything. NY: Scribner, 2010. 211.

I hope I can live this way.

3 comments:

The Bug said...

I have her book with these guidelines in them. I'm printing them out RIGHT NOW to take to NC with me!! Now if only I'll remember to read it every time I go to eat something :)

Terri said...

all good suggestions!

concretegodmother said...

i've really found the roth book helpful and thought-provoking. i'll read it again, more slowly, after i can wrest it back from my sister. (heh.) i always have problems with the 'eating without distraction' guideline; it's always more fun to read or watch a dvd, but then i'm out of touch with how much i'm eating.