Sunday, July 25, 2010

Juneau!

We are finally seeing mountains (in Alaska, of all places)! Friday we took the train to Anchorage, and on Saturday we took the train to Seward and back. That's where we saw mountains and glaciers! (I have always wanted to see a glacier.) I learned that there are over 100,000 glaciers in Alaska!

We took a boat tour in the drizzle in Resurection Bay and saw sea lions, dahl sheep, eagles, and six humpback whales who were bubble netting, which is has only been seen in two other places of the world. Usually humpback whales are more solitary, but these six were making noises and blowing bubbles in a circle in trapping the fish in the middle so one whale comes up and eats them; they continue in this pattern. You could tell that they were doing this because of the birds circling around trying to get fish--and we saw their tails.

Today we flew to Juneau and are amazed at the mountains surrounding this town. It increases in size by thousands when cruise ships come to town. There were four HUGE ones here today. This town reminds us of Bellingham in a way, but it has hills like San Francisco.

Tomorrow we are going to visit Mendenhall Glacier. On Tuesday we board the Alaska Ferry to Bellingham, which will arrive there on Friday morning.

3 comments:

Joan Calvin said...

There is a really cool hike up one of the mountains. It begins back of the governor's mansion through a park. One of my friends had a church in Juneau and I loved visiting there.

Diane M. Roth said...

we've been talking about doing this some day.

Sherry Peyton said...

Oh I love the mountains and I love the whales. Oh boy, Oh boy, clap clap. Pictures! I can't wait for the pictures!