Johanna Sigurdardottir, Iceland Prime Minister"But fellow Nordic nations hardly noticed when 67-year-old Johanna Sigurdardottir tied the knot with her longtime partner — a milestone that would still, despite advances in gay rights, be all but inconceivable elsewhere.
"Scandinavia has had a long tradition of tolerance — and cross-dressing lawmakers and gay bishops have become part of the landscape.
"'There is some kind of passion for social justice here,' respected cross-dressing Swedish lawmaker Fredrick Federley said. 'That everybody should be treated the same.'
"Gay rights activists said Europe in general has a better record on accepting gays at the highest levels of government than the United States."
Read the rest of the article here.
I applaud Iceland and wish their wisdom would drift down to the southwest.
7 comments:
When I was a little girl in 4th grade, Iceland was the very first country in our new (to us) study of geography. I've wanted to go there ever since and now -- yay Iceland!
I was really impressed when I heard about this - almost as impressed as I am about how GOOD she looks at 67. Yes, I'm that shallow LOL.
Yes, this is awesome...and just so right. YAY for Iceland for pointing the way into the future health of our world.
Me too. I always like whatever I see about Iceland too and it seems like it would be a very good place to visit.
I'm applauding too.
Hello, Bug. Well, I guess I'm shallow, too. I also immediately thought about how amazingly good she looks at 67. :-)
I'll join those who think she looks good, and in fact her wife is not bad-looking either. Well done them for leading the way.
Post a Comment