Wednesday, July 14, 2010

18th anniversary

My mother at Chuckanut Park in Bellingham, WA
approximately 1988

My mother died 18 years ago today. Somehow her dying at 72 has me looking at that age for me as a landmark--that's in 12 more years (plus a few months).

For some birthday my daughter AE made a collage of family pictures, and this is one of them in the frame. We would visit in Bellingham every summer, and my mother and I would take the kids to various parks on outings in the much cooler weather. Those are good memories.

Today AE also sent me a quote that is poignant:

"When anybody, no matter how old they are, loses a parent, I think it hurts the same as if you were only five years old, you know? I think all of us are always five years old in the presence and absence of our parents."

- Sherman Alexie, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

I treasure memories of my mother, as well as the times I now have with my children. I am glad that I will see AE soon (in Seattle).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
July 14 is a special date for me, partly because I have three friends with birthdays on this day. One I will see while I'm in Seattle: On the day that my mother died, JJ cried out, "Not on my birthday!" But I like birthdays today, which I always love to celebrate.

If YOU have a July 14 birthday, let me know!

10 comments:

Tim said...

Jan, your mother was lovely! (I don't like "was" in that sentence, though, as she is still lovely.) Celebrating birthdays on anniversaries of loss is a grand thing. I'm going to steal that practice, if you don't mind...

Blessings,
Tim

The Bug said...

That quote is exactly right! I lost my mom when I was 41 (5 years ago) & that inner child was just devastated (although the outer adult held it together pretty well). I wish you joy in your memories on this day.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I know this is a bittersweet day for you. That is a beautiful photo. I think you look a great deal like your mother.

My husband's birthday is today. Since he is part French, he loves having a Bastille Day birthday.

Lauralew said...

I agree with Ruth. You certainly look like your mother.

The first anniversary of my own mother's death is coming in a couple of weeks. It is good for me to read work such as yours to help me see how others my own age handle this.

I _love_ Sherman Alexie, btw

AutumnJoy said...

One of my very best friends would have been 55 years old today - she went Home about 18 months ago. This will be the second birthday that her husband, children, grandchildren and friends will gather to celebrate and give thanks for her life and the precious gift she is to each of us still.

Robin said...

A beautiful mother.

Diane said...

What a lovely photo of your mom. My mom passed in 1994. I think of her everyday. How blessed I am to have had her love!

Jan said...

Thank you, dear friends. I really like knowing of today's birthdays.

A friend here in town reminded me that her mother died when she was only 53, and that is so young, just like your friend, Autumn Joy.

Cynthia said...

My father died at 46 when I was 19--25 years ago. He died on my brother's 18th birthday. I still miss my dad so very much.

Lovely photo of your mother--you look so much like her.

Nancy said...

That picture brings your mother so clearly into my memory. I remember her as sweet, gentle and kind. I always felt welcome at her house.