Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Who is grateful?


wishing, wishes
I grew up with my mother telling me that old aphorism: "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." It never made much sense to me, but I like remembering it now because of its truth and the connection with my mother and probably her mother (my Nana).

Trying to live in the present moment eliminates wishes and/or expectations, but it is hard to remain there. I wish all my children to feel happy, but that is not always possible. I love them and pray for them.

water
I am grateful for water, especially the plentiful and clean water here in the USA.

I believe this is something that should be guaranteed for each person on earth and it is not. There is an NGO that works for this: WaterAid.

waffles
I am grateful for waffles and the memories of making them for my family, especially the few times we had them for dinner! Most of my children as they grew up requested waffles with strawberries and whipped cream for their birthday breakfasts.

I discovered a recipe that makes very crispy waffles while we lived in Rhode Island in 1991-1992. It has yeast in it and must be made the night before:

1. The night before, combine:
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp. sugar
Let stand 5 minutes for the yeast to dissolve.

2. Add:
  • 2 cups lukewarm milk
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups unbleached flour
Stir until completely smooth. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit overnight at room temperature.

3. The next morning heat a waffle iron according to its instructions.
Beat together:
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • pinch of baking soda
Add to the batter, stirring until well mixed.

Pour enough of the batter onto the hot waffle iron to cover it and cook until crisp and golden. Serve the waffles hot with favorite toppings.

(makes 6 large waffles)

Sarah Leah Chase. Cold-Weather Cooking. NY: Workman Publishing, 1990. 223-224.




2 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I'm grateful for all of your 'w's, even though I'm sad for Maine today.

and thanks for the recipe for waffles.

Jan said...

I am so sad about Maine, too.