
Sophia writes for RevGalBlogPals:
The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia, a word derived from the concatenation of the Greek words Paraskeví (Παρασκευή) (meaning Friday), and dekatreís (δεκατρείς) (meaning thirteen), attached to phobía (φοβία) (meaning fear). The term triskaidekaphobia derives from the Greek words "tris", meaning 'three', "kai", meaning 'and', and "deka", meaning 'ten'. the whole word means three and ten. The word was derived in 1911 and first appeared in a mainstream source in 1953. (Wikipedia)
With thanks to my dear spouse TechnoGuy for the great suggestion, it's a Friday the 13th Friday Five!
1. How is this Friday the 13th looking for you?
A friend I have not seen for several months is taking me out to lunch to celebrate my birthday from two weeks ago.
2. Have you ever had anything unlucky happen on Friday the 13th?
No
3. Did your family of origin embrace or scorn superstitions?
My family just thought the superstitions were funny.
4. Are there any unique or amusing ones from your family, region, or ethnic background?
The only story, which I tend to believe is true, is about a ghost visiting my mother's aunt when she was young. Aunt Lally was my grandmother's younger sister. While they still lived in Scotland, she and her mother talked about people returning after they died and the mother told Aunt Lally that people would be too frightened and so that did not occur often. The story goes that after her mother died, Aunt Lally was awakened one night by the appearance of her mother and screamed. Then her mother said, "I told you so."
5. Do you love or hate horror movies like "Friday the 13th"?
I HATE horror movies and avoid them at all costs.
4 comments:
"I told you so" -- love it! What a story!
Enjoy your Friday the 13th lunch!
Yes--what a Scottish story--who gets the last word? Ha HA. It is unnerving though, even if you're aware of what's going on.
Funny ghost story!
I completely agree with you about horror movies.
Post a Comment