In February 2009, the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life published a report "Darwin Debated: Religion vs. Evolution" from which this graph was copied. It is shocking to me that less than 50% of Americans believe in evolution.I learned from a friend that I am a believer in Theistic Evolution. Here is a detailed chart comparing characteristics of evolution and creationism.
3 comments:
Me too. I saved the site. Very interesting. I'd never read anything on the subject explained to that level before.
I know this will probably astonish you, but I struggle deeply with creationism versus evolution. Having grown up a fundamentalist Baptist and then attended an evangelical college, I was indoctrinated in creationism thoroughly. People in that system do tend to view it as a defense of God's being and power.
Gradually, I have come to accept that evolution is involved in our origins somehow but I don't really have a specific theory of how it worked. Maybe I'm a theistic evolutionist. I don't know. For whatever reason, this issue still causes me substantial cognitive dissonance, so I don't tend to think about it very much.
I am a theistic evolutionist, too.
Post a Comment