You have first loved us, O God, alas. We speak of it in terms of history, as if you have only loved us first but a single time, rather than that, without ceasing, you have loved us first many times and every day and our whole life through.
When we wake up in the morning and turn our soul to you, you are the first. You have loved us first; if I rise at dawn and at the same time turn my soul towards you in prayer, you are ahead of me; you have loved me first.
When I withdraw from the distractions of the day and turn my soul in thought towards you, you are the first and thus forever. And yet we always speak ungratefully as if you have loved us first only once.
~Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855)
4 comments:
Funny, today at my church's Quiet Day, I started reading a book called Christian Households: The Sanctification of Nearness; Chapter Two deals with the concept (among others) of God loving us first and always. Apparently this is something I need to be reminded of. Thanks, Jan.
God loved, loves, us first. I trust this to be true even when life really offers nothing to indicate that this is so...I'll wave as I drive through the Texas panhandle today...even though you are still a long way away...
God loved, loves, us first. I trust this to be true even when life really offers nothing to indicate that this is so...I'll wave as I drive through the Texas panhandle today...even though you are still a long way away...
This so much resonates. Thanks!
Post a Comment