Monday, September 7, 2009

Tuesday and today

Tomorrow is the start of school days for many children in the US and a continuation for others. For me, it is the beginning of two classes that meet on Tuesdays (10-12 and 1:30-4:30).

Tuesday morning is the Wisdom Class, which is a book study I facilitate. We are starting Richard Rohr's newest book The Naked Now. There are usually about six people who regularly come to this class, but the size will probably double with those interested in this new book. And our meditation (found here) for the beginning of the class is:

I can only fly freely
when I know there is a catcher to catch me.
If we are to take risks,
to be free,
in the air,
in life,
we have to know
that when we come down from it all,
we're going to be caught,
we're going to be safe.
The great hero is the least visible.
Trust the catcher.

Henri Nouwen

Tuesday afternoon is EFM or Education for Ministry. This is my third year, which will be on church doctrine and history. That reminds me of the "Christian Believer" classes I led when I was at First Methodist. I always found that course invigorating, so this year of EFM should be very interesting.

MJ drove back to San Antonio today, but her older (24 year old) brother BJ (with his dog Troy) stayed on. Poor BJ started feeling sick when he was barbecuing chicken for me around noon. He felt nauseous and dreadful, even feverish. He was gradually feeling better tonight and ate some soup, but then admitted he was aching all over. So I called our doctor, and he is now taking Tamiflu. I hope he feels better soon, so he can return to Houston and his job. (Plus I hope the rest of us don't catch whatever he has. Since he's not coughing, I don't think it's swine flu.)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Your classes sound envigorating!
I'm sorry BJ's sick. A bunch of FBC's friends were sick with similar sounding symptoms when we were visiting this weekend. I'm hoping we escaped....