Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday Five: Recharging ourselves

Sally at RevGalBlogPals writes:

A few weeks ago my lap-top battery died, suddenly I found myself looking at a blank screen and was rather relieved to find that it was only the battery and not the whole computer that had failed. This morning a new battery arrived in the post, and suddenly I am mobile again!

After a week with what feels like wall to wall meetings, and Synod looming on the horizon for tomorrow I find myself pondering my own need to recharge my batteries. This afternoon Tim and I are setting off to explore the countryside around our new home, I always find that walking in the fresh air away from phones and e-mails recharges me. But that is not the only thing that restores my soul, so do some people, books, pieces of music etc....

So I wonder what/ who gives you energy?

I need some right now as we are in a rush to drive to San Antonio, so this is quick:

1. Is there a person who encourages and uplifts you, whose company you seek when you are feeling low?

Friends and sometimes my children. Writing helps greatly.

2. How about a piece of music that either invigorates or relaxes you?

I should turn to music more often than I do.

3. Which book of the Bible do you most readily turn to for refreshment and encouragement? Is there a particular story that brings you hope?

Psalms, especially Nan Merrill's translations.

4. A bracing walk or a cosy fireside?

It's too hot right now in TX to think of either. I am learning that turning to God in a time of meditation helps greatly.

5. Are you feeling refreshed and restored at the moment or in need of recharging, write a prayer or a prayer request to finish this weeks Friday Five....

Surprisingly, the email service "Inward/Outward" had a most appropriate prayer this morning:

God rest us.
Rest that part of us which is tired.
Awaken that part of us which is asleep.
God awaken us and awake within us.
Amen

By Michael Leunig

7 comments:

DogBlogger said...

Ooh, nice prayer for today, yes. Thanks.

RevDrKate said...

Love Nan Merrill! Great play. Have a good trip.

altar ego said...

I don't know Nan Merrill, will have to check her out. That IS a wonderful prayer for today, and for all those days when rest seems elusive. Traveling mercies!

angela said...

I agree with the Dog-what a wonderful prayer for the day. I'm fighting some kind of bug and trying to get the 2 yr old to understand.

Di said...

What a beautiful prayer! Thank you!

Jennifer said...

Nan Merrill is the bomb.
And so are you!
Happy travel and study!

Barbara B. said...

That is a really good prayer!