Thursday, May 1, 2008

Love the Questions

I don't want to detract from my post below about the disappointing result of voting at the United Methodist General Conference, but I want to post the poem that my first priest read to me over the phone last Saturday. Today I received an envelope from Fr. Winn, with the poem as well as a handwritten letter with quotes from the book Quantum Theology by Diarmuid O'Murchu. How wonderful to get personal mail in our mailbox!

So here is the Rilke poem he read and also mailed to me:

Be patient
toward all that is unsolved in your heart,
and try to love the questions themselves.

Do not ask
the answers that cannot be given
because
you would not be able to live with them.

And the point is
to love everything.
Love the questions now.

Perhaps
you will then
gradually
without noticing it
live along some distant day
into the answer.

~~Rainer Maria Rilke

6 comments:

Fran said...

This is a meaningful follow up to that post if you think about it.

Thanks for this poem, which I have been meaning to look up of late.

Di said...

Amen.

(Love Rilke.)

Choralgrrl said...

Rilke rocks. "Letters to a Young Poet" is one of my favorite books.

Reminds me, too, of one of my favorite Aaron Sorkin lines about how history never feels like history while we're living it out. It feels like a mess.

True enough.

Jennifer said...

These posts do go hand in hand.

Sue said...

One of my favourite poems. Thanks for posting it.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love the poem. I'm unfamiliar with Rilke's work. I think I'll have to start reading it.