Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Machu Picchu


Machu Picchu is a Pre-Columbian Inca site in Peru, which was probably built around 1450. Fran got me thinking about it because of today's post and its picture. I'd love to go here, but don't know if I ever will.

It was newly brought to my attention at the last Shalem Residency I attended in MD because I met the grandson of Machu Picchu's modern-day discoverer: Forgotten for centuries, the site was brought to worldwide attention in 1911 by Hiram Bingham, an American historian. I am much more interested in Machu Picchu since feeling connected to the discoverer through his grandson. (In fact, this is the person who told me about the Greek words to the Jesus Prayer.)

4 comments:

Annie's Mom said...

This is a beautiful picture! I have heard people say that the site will be closed to the public permanently because of concerns over the impact of tourists on the site itself... I am torn between agreeing that that is the appropriate course of action if the site is being damaged, and really really really wanting to go and see it myself.

Unknown said...

Interesting, Indeed.

Anonymous said...

Looks so beautiful. It must be an awesome place to visit.

(Wish I knew how to pronounce the Greek words!)

Fran said...

I can only say that my visit there was one of the most awe-inspiring things that I have ever, ever done.

As for Chorus' comment, I am highly doubtful about them closing the site as tourism is the economy of very poor Peru and at the heart of that tourism is Machu Picchu.

For a very long time it was very hard to get to MP and that afforded some protection.

Now there are 3 trains a day; there was to be a helicopter (God forbid) but that got voted down.

Also, the companies that provide the other method- hiking 3 days, are growing.

So I too have mixed feelings and if nothing else, if people do go, they should go with respect.

Certainly I saw some less than respectful things happen there, that is sad.