Saturday, May 17, 2008

"Jesus of the People"

Due to my former priest's recommendation of the book Quantum Theology, I ordered another book by author Diarmuid O'Murchu entitled Catching Up With Jesus: A Gospel Story for Our Time, which arrived in the mail today. I am really liking what I've read in the first 1 1/2 chapters, and this may motivate me to start the book with the intimidating title, Quantum Theology.

Of course, I was intrigued with O'Murchu's words about a painting of Jesus:

"In her desire to reclaim a more foundational understanding of Jesus, the contemporary American artist Janet McKenzie portrays her Jesus of the People as a black androgynous person (see National Catholic Reporter, Dec. 24, 1999). Not only is this portrayal more congruent with the archetypal identity of Jesus, but it also honors the historical alliance of God in Jesus with our ancient ancestors as we evolved in eastern Africa over several million years." (18)

© "Jesus of the People"" Late in 1999 Janet McKenzie’s painting “Jesus of the People” was selected winner of the National Catholic Reporter’s competition for a new image of Jesus by judge, Sister Wendy Beckett, host of the PBS show “Sister Wendy’s Story of Painting”. In the words of Sister Wendy, “This is a haunting image of a peasant Jesus – dark, thick-lipped, looking out on us with ineffable dignity, with sadness but with confidence. Over His white robe He draws the darkness of our lack of love, holding it to Himself, prepared to transform all sorrows if we will let Him.” "

The rest of this article is here.



5 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

what a great painting! reminds me of my Christ on the Margins book by Robert Lentz.

oh, and I finally got to the meme. although I might add a picture or two later.

Under there... said...

Incredible icon. Bet it turns heads like Jesus did!

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I love these kinds of re-imaginings. I think they help us keep from getting trapped in our assumptions.

zorra said...

I love that painting. Around Epiphany I saw a wonderful painting of the Magi that looked like it was done by the same artist. If I can find it again I'll give you the link.

zorra said...

That didn't take long. It's just called "Epiphany" and you can see it at janetmckenzie.com.