Thursday, May 29, 2008

Graduation weekend coming up!

Today was MJ's last day of high school. She and I went out to lunch, which was very nice! Before that I went to the only supermarket in Corpus Christi, HEB, to shop for all the food festivities for this weekend. Somehow celebrations and food go together, so once everyone is gone I'll go on a healthier diet!

I make a wonderful carrot cake, which seems to be destined to be the dessert for MJ's graduation. She was shocked that her boy friend CS had never had carrot cake, and so I am baking one for his family's graduation party tomorrow night. Then daughter AE said her partner KA had never had my carrot cake so that's the dessert for our family dinner on Saturday night!

Here's a picture of the valedictorian (CS) and salutatorian (MJ):
Ray High School


Valedictorian


Salutatorian
Yay!

AE and KA are flying from Seattle to Austin tomorrow. They'll stay with DC and wife AA, who will then drive them to Corpus Christi on Saturday. BJ will get here from Houston, too! All our children will be home for about 36 hours! They're all leaving on Sunday afternoon after the graduation ceremony--even MJ who will go off to be a camp counselor then, too.

We're barbecuing on Saturday night, and also will be serving two vegetarian salads, followed by carrot cake! That'll be our one evening with every one home until Christmas. Then on Sunday we're having a brunch before MJ leaves for the graduation at noon.

Graduation is at 1 pm on Sunday, June 1st. We get to sit in the second row! (CS's family sits in the first row.)

And here's a picture to show you how much my kids have grown. AE always tried to get out of pictures being taken, so she's not in this one on BJ's 10th birthday. The crazy one is DC, who was 16, and MJ was 5.


This was 13 years ago.
Time flies!


10 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Jan, how proud you must be. I hope you have a rich, full, blessed time this weekend.

Oh, and I love carrot cake. That was what we chose for our wedding cake.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to MJ! What an exciting time. I hope all your celebrations are lovely.

What a happy picture of the kids. And yes, time does fly--it's amazing.

P.S. I've never made a carrot cake. Maybe someday, when you're not so busy, you can send me your recipe.

Fran said...

What a beautiful family you have!

MJ has your gorgeous smile - it can light up entire rooms!

And if you are sending it, I would love the carrot cake recipe too.

Have fun with the family - all of them!

Rev SS said...

CONGRATULATIONS MJ (and CS) ... May your family have a wonderful celebration being together.

And, when they're all gone, you are invited to do the Start of Summer Meme for which I tagged you, if you're interested.

Katherine E. said...

MJ is beautiful, Jan. And she looks just like you!

Oh, I know you'll have a GREAT weekend.

What are you doing in preparation for empty-nesting?

Katie's graduation was wonderful. We just got back earlier today. Wonderful, but after her name was called, of course, it was fairly boring. They did do something interesting, though. At one point they showed a video with each graduates' current picture side-by-side with a baby picture. Kind of like you did here! Anyway, that part was really cute.

And we enjoyed Katie's senior piano recital on Tuesday night. That was a big deal as well.

I'll be thinking of you and your entire family this weekend. Have Fun!

June Butler said...

Congratulations to MJ! Way to go! You and your beloved must be busting your buttons. Have a great time while the family is together.

Annie's Mom said...

Congratulations to all, Jan!! Enjoy this wonderful celebratory weekend!!

And if you felt like sharing that carrot cake recipe, it would be much appreciated!!

Lindy said...

Congratulations. I hope you have a great weekend.

Lindy
in Austin

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I already commented on this, but i wanted to make sure to thank you for the hug on my post today.

Unknown said...

How exciting! Have a wonderful time with all of them!!