I feel like
Wyld when he wrote about his
Pet Peeve. So I am expressing my irritation about forwarded emails, especially political ones. Lately, I have received various ones about Democrats' taxes, Obama's link to Kenya, windfall tax on retirement incomes, etc., etc., etc. One was really a blessing, because I learned that Obama (and others) proposed a bill to aid the accomplishment of the Millenium Development Goals:
Global Poverty Act of 2007 (H.R.1302, S.2433). I am definitely for the developed nations of the world donating 0.7% GNP towards this and was glad to hear that an effort was being made towards this goal. But the original email was purporting to warn people about the bill that would have the U.N. taxing U.S. citizens.
These emails usually scare people about their future, especially financial futures. I wish people would check out the facts before sending these messages on to cause more furor and hysteria.
Check out Urban Legends at Snopes.Com.
There's also About Urban Legends. That site has these interesting links, if you have time to explore:
9 comments:
Keep in mind that most people who believe every email they read, particularly Grandma, do not know what "veracity" means. You need to dumb down your language a little.
I regularly check out snopes. thanks for bringing it to more people's attention.
Where did you find that cartoon? That was great! :-)
Google images is great for finding pictures and cartoons!
I just automatically delete ALL forwarded emails. HATE THEM!
This is one of my pet peeves too.
Ooooh, this is one of my pet peeves, too. I wrote about it on Earth Day, because I get the ones about global warming and how we should be drilling in the ANWR, blah blah blah. These are politically motivated and therefore, the people sending them on don't bother to check the facts (some probably don't care whether or not they're true if they support their views).
Great cartoon!
Well, I believe that everyone is telling me THEIR truth. I am increasingly less impressed with anything "factual." Facts change. I don't like being cynical though so I just recognize truth as something individual. It's easier.
Oh, and I loved the cartoon.
Post a Comment