Saturday, July 28, 2007

My husband's birthday

Friday, July 27 was my husband CB's birthday, edging closer to 60. (Me, too) Our four kids kept contacting me about WHAT he'd like for his birthday. BUT even when asked, he would not say. DC even called up three times the week before his birthday to ask. All I gave him were t-shirts with pockets, which he insists upon. Whenever I have tried to get CB something "different," he doesn't like it. (My dad was like this, too, but at least he read books. CB reads on the internet; I read and buy enough books for both of us, he says.)

CB likes to sleep in his OWN bed each night. (In some ways he is so much like my dad!) So he didn't want to spend his birthday night to a hotel in San Antonio where we'd be for MJ's Saturday and Sunday soccer tournament. So he stayed home, while MJ and I went north. (Before we left, we ate a chocolate cake from my mother's old Betty Crocker cookbook and ice cream.)

MJ and I drove very early further north to the soccer fields in a field with a dirt road to park in. After a short while, we learned that there would be NO game, because the team the Express girls were going to play had dropped out. AND because of that, they would not play any other games at all--somehow, they qualified for the level they wanted by being at the tournament without the other team. Then we came back home.

CB planned to drive up this morning for the second later game (which did not materialize). When I called him about MJ having NO games at all, he laughed and laughed and said that this (NOT having to come to SA) was the BEST birthday gift he'd received!

MJ and I had an enjoyable time together; MJ visited a friend from church camp; MJ finished the last Harry Potter book while I drove; and CB was overjoyed. . . .CB's birthday was a success after all.

8 comments:

Katherine E. said...

Chocolate cake from your mom's old cookbook sounds like a pretty good birthday present, Jan! yummy

Talk about driving north...any plans to head up this way, by any chance?

Jody Harrington said...

That sounds a lot like my husband's idea of a good birthday, too! Many happy returns to CB.

Rev SS said...

Too funny! Glad CB had a good b'day!

June Butler said...

Serendipity! One should be allowed certain choices on one's birthday, but CB got an overflow of gifts. Good for him.

Grandpère wants knit shirts with pockets, too - not always an easy find.

Terri said...

Always nice when the "universe" takes care of things for us...

Diane M. Roth said...

simple pleasures are the best. your husband seems to know...

emmapeelDallas said...

It sounds like a terrific birthday...chocolate cake and some quiet time...good, simple pleasures for us boomers (I'll turn 58 in Sept).

:)

Judi

Jan said...

Judi, I'll be 57 in October. We're about the same age!