Thursday, July 26, 2007

Daily Meditation from Eknath Easwaran

Everyday I receive a daily meditation from The Blue Mountain Center of Meditation in California. Eknath Easwaran’s Thought for the Day comes from his book Words to Live By: A Daily Guide to Leading an Exceptional Life

You can also go to the "Thought for the Day" site and choose a reading or sign up for one to be delivered to you each day, as I have done. I find Eknath Easwaran's thoughts to so often jog my mind and my heart to look at me and the world in new ways. Today the words spoke to me of my struggle with my habit of willfulness and indulgence combating my willingness to look to God's openings. It's a never-ending struggle, especially because I do not work for a living and spend my time volunteering, studying/reading, and supposedly taking care of the house. I have a great deal of freedom and do not always use it wisely.

July 26

Like a ball batted back and forth, a human being is batted by two forces within.
– Yogabindu Upanishad

As human beings we have a divided nature – partly physical, but essentially spiritual. We are constantly batted by two conflicting forces. One force is the fierce downward thrust of our past conditioning as separate, self-oriented, physical creatures. Yet built into our very nature is an inner drive that will not let us be satisfied with a life governed only by biological laws. Some inner evolutionary imperative is constantly exhorting us to grow, to reach for the highest that we can conceive.


1 comment:

Jan said...

Thanks, Mohit. It looks good.