Monday, July 23, 2007

Hafiz: Each Soul

In our weekly Wisdom Class book group, we are discussing the chapter on "The Blessed Community" in Thomas Kelly's book A Testament of Devotion. This poem by Hafiz seems like a good beginning devotion.


My

Beloved said,

“My name is not complete without

yours.”

I thought:

How could a human’s worth ever be such?


And God knowing all our thoughts – and all our

thoughts are innocent steps on the path –

then addressed my

heart,

God revealed

a sublime truth to the world,

when He

sang,


“I am made whole by your life. Each soul,

each soul completes

me.”

~ Hafiz ~


5 comments:

RevDrKate said...

Lovely. Have another Persian posted at my place inspired by yours.

lauraj said...

Ahhhh. nice.
Isn't Kelly's book wonderful? I go back to it again and again.

Jan said...

LJ, I'm like you--I go back to that back over and over. It's been a joy to introduce it to this reading group.

And thank you for your poem, RevDrKate.

Unknown said...

I'll have to pull it off the shelf, haven't looked at it since seminary.

Terri said...

I like this poem a lot. Thanks for posting it.