I am not an "angel person." Some people collect angels and pictures of various cherubs, but I have always thought they were too sentimental. I like the idea of having a "guardian angel," but how does this angel differ from the Holy Spirit? I would have to accept the reality of angels, which I hedge about. But I believe in the community of saints that surround us, so why can't angels be included?
Anyway, below is a meditation that hit me about angels that I received from Eknath Easwaren's site:
Make yourself familiar with the angels, and behold them frequently in spirit; for without being seen, they are present with you.
– Saint Francis de Sales
– Saint Francis de Sales
"When the word “angel” is used, we can understand it as a personification of the forces for good in the world. Who will deny that forgiveness is one of the greatest forces on the face of the earth? Show me a man or a woman who can forgive completely and I will show you an angel.
"There is another meaning as well: there are beneficial forces in life, ready to support those who are sincere but who find their capacities not adequate to the challenges that life presents.
"When you are needed by others, when you have something valuable to contribute, these beneficial forces will support you, and give you greater health, greater energy, longer life, and deeper creativity. Life may strike at you, and challenges can hurtle themselves against you, but you will feel equal to them. Deeper forces from within will support you, hold you up, and act as a shield.
"We are not alone in the universe. We are surrounded by mighty creative forces."
The Thought for the Day is today's entry from Eknath Easwaran's Words to Live By. (Copyright 1999 and 2005 by The Blue Mountain Center of Meditation.)
I can agree with the thought that an angel is a "personification of the forces for good in the world." I've experienced the goodness of others and God moments/synchronicities that I could attribute to "angels."
What do you think of angels?
1 comment:
I'm not an angel person, either, and consider "angel" a slippery word. Did Jacob wrestle with a man (Gen. 32:24), an angel, or God (Gen. 32:28, 30)? Why is it so impossible for us to be clear about it? Famous artists show Jacob wrestling with a man-like being with wings, yet Jacob said he had seen the face of God. Or was it Esau he wrestled with? Jacob did tell Esau, after all, "to see your face is like seeing the face of God" (Gen. 33:10). Or is all of this simply a matter of metaphor?
Post a Comment