Tuesday, March 13, 2012

BW (before white) Hair

At this morning's Wisdom Class, we talked about the chapter on "Aging" in Lauren Winner's Mudhouse Sabbath. We had a really good discussion about aging and dying.

One item I mentioned was that I have noticed my white hair in the midst of women in Russia, Spain, Canada, and the USA in the past few years and have felt marked as "old." It seemed like most women, even older than me, colored their hair. I stopped doing that soon after DC and AA's wedding in September 2006. Someone in our class then asked me what was the color before I let it go "natural"? Brown.

So here is a picture of AA and me (with brown hair) the afternoon before the Rehearsal Dinner for her wedding:


My hair was longer than it is now, but also a better texture. My hair has gotten very fly-away since taking methotextrate (for RA) in the past year--I've lost some hair and it grows back in-- obviously shorter. I am not sure that I'll ever stop taking that chemo-drug, because it with Humira stops the RA inflammation in my joints. The side effect of "witchy" hair is better than painful and swollen joints!

1 comment:

Terri said...

I've tried numerous times to allow my hair to go gray (which I can do) but I can't sustain it. Before long I have to color it again. Which I disdain. I know it is just me refusing to accept the fact that I am getting old. But really I do prefer the natural color - so good for you for doing this!