I don't have that many memories of July 4th. You would think that my childhood growing up on military bases (mostly Marine) would highlight patriotic observances, but I do not remember any. That seems odd from my perspective of being 60 years old, so I thought I would try to recall any Independence Day celebrations I could:- The one I remember most vividly is one I spent on the beach at Port Hueneme Naval Base in California when I was in high school visiting my long-time friend Nancy. Her family brought us to the beach for the fireworks display. It was fun, and I remember her younger brother (who is now a linguistics professor in Australia) running around--probably Nancy, her sister, and I were moving around, too.
- It used to be that you could see the fireworks from my parents' house in Bellingham, WA. I remember sitting alone on the couch, watching them when my mother was dying of pancreatic cancer. Little did I know that she would die only ten days later (in 1992).
- In 1979, when I was pregnant with our first baby, our neighborhood had a gathering at the local park, which we declined to attend--as I was very pregnant and it was so hot (like today)! My mother was visiting from WA, waiting for DC's arrival--and she wasn't used to the heat either. He was a week overdue and finally arrived on July 6.
- On a few occasions, we took our children down to the waterfront grassy areas here in Corpus Christi, TX with massive crowds of other people. It was always very hot and humid. . . and buggy. (There are over 200 varieties of mosquitoes, and all of them can be found here!) I mostly remember doing this with our two younger children. I wonder if they liked it. . . .
I hope you are enjoying the 4th of July wherever you are!
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing your memories, Jan. I am struggling with not going to fireworks tonight - trying to be generous to my husband who has been working hard finishing a remodeling job all day but feeling as if one more celebratory observance has slipped away from us.
Enjoy your AC!
We rarely go anywhere to see fireworks - we don't really like crowds & I REALLY don't like loud noises. But Mike loves them, so we're watching the DC show right now :)
I remember that trip to beach to watch the fireworks! I'm glad it's a special memory for you.
I also remember the fireworks on the Navy base in Japan. Do you remember them? They has some very intricate set pieces on the ground as well as arial fireworks.
I've never seen fireworks on the beach but I have seen them over Lake Tahoe. They were the most exquisite ones I've ever seen. The magic was doubled because of the reflections in the lake water.
The past 9 years we've walked to the park with our blanket and laid on the ground staring at the night sky. But we didn't go this year, too many health and logistic considerations. I missed the time with the family and most especially the reactions of my nieces.
Thanks for sharing your memories.
Post a Comment