Saturday, October 16, 2010

Dinner for Six

Like many other churches, All Saints Episcopal Church began organizing "Dinners for Eight" starting this fall. Our group dwindled to three couples, instead of four. Tonight is the dinner at our house.

CB is going to grill steelhead trout on the grill. I made a curried rice salad this morning. Others will bring a salad, a vegetable and dessert. It will be fun.

I thought I would share the recipe for the salad, because it is a favorite of my family:

Curried Rice Salad with
Apples and Chick-Peas

1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice
5 scallions, sliced
1 medium apple, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (I use yellow)
1 cup cooked chick-peas
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (or vegetarian variety)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil

Bring the rice and 3 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 40-45 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork, and set it aside.

Combine the cooled rice in a large bowl with the scallions, apple, raisins, pepper, chick-peas, and cilantro.

Whisk together the turmeric, curry powder, salt, mayonnaise, Worcestershire, lemon juice, and olive oil.

Stir the dressing into the salad and serve at room temperature.
(However, we like it chilled.)

Callan, Ginny. Beyond the Moon Cookbook. NY: HarperCollins, 1996. 109.

7 comments:

Anne said...

I love that salad. I would recommend, however, that the Dinner for Eight crowd reconsider the use of underlined Copperplate for its logo.

The Bug said...

That sounds really good - I'll bet you guys have a great time.

altar ego said...

Tastes like a delicious evening. Hope you all had a wonderful time.

Sherry Peyton said...

Ha, great looking recipe. I'm making it because hubby "hates" curry though he has never had it.

Terri said...

sounds delicious. my family wouldn't like the chickpeas, but I do!

Jan said...

I had two helpings for my lunch today, the day after the dinner. It is delicious! Maybe you could substitute another kind of legume, MP.

Diane M. Roth said...

we tried this one year. it had mixed success. a couple who didn't have children and a couple of empty nesters did it.

anyway, send me the instructions. we might try it again.