My friend Mary Jane sent me this card for my birthday. It is a perfect expression of how I feel about turning 60 years old.Last week I was reading in the Gospel of John and was surprised by a rarely-noticed (by me) verse in the story of Jesus turning the water into wine at the wedding at Cana (John 2:1-12):
Then he called the bridegroom aside 10and said, "Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."
With this landmark birthday approaching, I noticed the latter part of verse 10: "you saved the best till now." That perfectly describes how each successive decade has been for me: life keeps getting better. It seemed "old" to turn half-a-century ten years ago, but my 50's have been happier and happier. Now that I'm even older, I am anticipating that my 60's will be, too.
My faith in God and meditating have helped me to realize more of the abundance in my daily life, especially in my family and friends. I am such a blessed person; today I am grateful to know this as truth.
6 comments:
A really totally happy happy seventh decade to you! I'm glad to hear it gets better, cuz it really is feeling like it is.
I've just read your three birthday posts, Jan, and I'm thrilled for you! Nothing like a surprise visit from long-distance loves -- best birthday gift ever, to have your whole family around you on this day ...
The birthday card is marvelous -- the message seems deliberately ambiguous in how it suggests that *all* seasons are the best of your life ... I like that ...
I'm going to be 52 on my next birthday ... and I am *loving* how many women say their 50s and 60s are full and fascinating decades ...
Happiest of birthdays, Jan! xoxo :-)
Hope you had a fabulous birthday and were properly feted! There are certainly things I appreciate about how "longevity" makes for an improved life. I'm still working on gratitude for the crap that clutters mine at the moment!
Happy birthday Jan, and thank you for this post, which has led me to mull on my own life and how I am blessed. I hope I can say the same about my 40s (what's left of them) and beyond.
I do hope this is a fabulous decade for you - and with a grandchild on the way, how could it not be?
what a great card! and best wishes for another decade!
I am grateful that I know you! I'm sorry I don't come over more often.
take care!
Post a Comment