Monday, May 4, 2009

Advice of My Hero

Brother Lawrence has always been a hero saint of mine. As stories and rumors circulate about our former priest, the woman involved, and even our new priest, I keep thinking of Brother Lawrence's advice about giving everything to God. I don't know the exact words, but this is how I remember his way of life in surrendering all to God:

  • When I do something good, I thank God and give it to God.
  • When I do something wrong, I ask for forgiveness from God and give it to God.
Only one side of the story is being told, which does not excuse a priest from crossing this professional, ethical, and spiritual boundary that resulted in his deposition. Too many people are suffering from those past actions, which continue to bear fruit in dissension, sorrow, and pain.

I dislike the various judgments that are being declared in different directions, and so for myself am trying to surrender all to God so that I will not be swayed by all the opinions circulating.

Brother Lawrence gives concrete advice for growing in awareness of God. By giving all my actions to God, I may avoid, or at least lessen, pride and shame--and increase my knowledge of my dependence upon the Holy One.

4 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I am sorry to hear about this, and am praying for you and your congregation. (((Jan))))

Terri said...

My prayers for you and both congregations continue...I had the same experience with a former priest...it's a long story...maybe I'll write about it one day....but I understand the pain for all involved...

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Jan, may God bless you in your efforts not to rush to judgment. Sending you hugs.

Funky Grampa said...

As we all fall short of the glory God gives us we all suffer the pain of being created lower than the angels.

Brother Lawarnce shines a healing light into the fog of our suffering.

I rejoice at and in your vision.