It is always interesting to observe the Spirit at work in oneself, which only seems to happen with awareness. I woke up this morning, thinking I should delete my last post, as it seemed to be whining. I am so ingrained with the belief that people don't care (and not to bother people) that it still colors how I think.
In our weekly Renovare meeting this morning (the "chanting" group daughter AE calls it), I spoke of my experience with lectio this week. This small community ushered into my consciousness how God continually heals me. I could share with them without thinking I was "whining." I've learned to trust and care about each woman in the group and know they feel the same about me. That's how the woman seeking the coin in Luke felt about her friends and neighbors.
One friend, JS, pointed out to me that trust is developed at a very early age in infancy and then is reinforced throughout one's childhood. My mother often told me that doctors told her a baby's lungs needed to be developed by crying, especially a premature baby's. (That was me.) So maybe that's the beginning of my lack of trust. Who knows?
This brought to mind how I have been told my two different spiritual directors that my wound is trust. About 12 years ago when I was at Lebh Shomea for the Listening Heart Retreat, I met with Father Kelly* once. What I remember is he told me I did not trust God. That was a revelation to me at that time! Some years ago Father David (who was my spiritual director for the past 10 years and is moving) told me and repeated over time that my "broken feather is trust."
So I'm back to peeling the onion and finding again the ribbon of trust I need to look at. I am grateful how God has grown me in trusting him and others, but he is also showing me how I still need to grow.
In spiritual direction yesterday, I found myself telling someone that we only can start to change our thought patterns when we become aware of whatever persistent judgment or "voice" that plays over and over again--and thank God for this insight--and stop going down that spiraling descent. It is a very long process. And I didn't realize I was telling myself the same thing! I didn't know until now that those admonishing voices were coloring my thoughts about myself.
Stop! Look! Listen!
*(Here's an essay about worship, with illumination from Fr. Kelly at Lebh Shomea. Vanstone is mentioned, too, whom I first heard of through Mystical Seeker's post.)
10 comments:
Oh, Jan, I love this post. Courageous. Insightful. Beautiful.
Thank you!
Thank you, Katherine.
Jan, I've had a crazy couple of days and my blog visits have suffered. As a result, I read them both today.
I really admire you and your- well, I was going to say journey, but I will say instead, your yearning for God.
It is very beautiful and so real. As Katherine E. says- Courageous. Insightful. Beautiful.
Thank you so much for sharing this. Know I am grateful indeed that we have encountered one another here in blogworld. You are a gift.
Speaking of thanks- thanks for your comment over at my other place. It means a lot.
Peace to you.
Dear Jan,
Can feathers mend?
I know that wounds can heal.
Thanks for trusting those who read your authetic, transparent words.
Jan, at the beginning of my son's divorce nightmare, I saw a counselor for a few times. She gave me a bit of advice about my tendency to worry, which is, in the end, a lack of trust in God, no? Commit the worries and the people you're worrying about to God and trust her to care for them.
She said if I found myself running over the worries in my mind and picturing all the things that can still go wrong, I should, turn off that tape. Just as when I'm watching something on a video that I don't like, I can press the stop button, I can do that with my worries. That resonated with me, and I was able to become fairly successful with the technique.
It's not that I don't worry any more, but I'm getting much better at turning off the worry tapes that are harmful and destructive to my peace.
This technique may not work for everyone, but it helped me greatly. I'm not giving advice here, just saying what worked for me.
I admire so that you open yourself and make yourself vulnerable in your posts. You don't sound one bit whiney to me. If what you say is whining, then I say, "Keep on whining, girl."
Jan, for God's sake you have the faith and self-belief of a gnat! And gnats can jump squillions of times their body height. Or is that fleas? Who cares.
I like your blog.
I like the words you commit to eternity through your blog.
I like reading what you have to say.
Prem babaies often become the family scapegoats. This is a medical fact, and a family I know had a prem that grew up to be a soldier in the SAS. So there you go. Prem babies become the saviours of countless strangers...
Accept your destiny and accept your fate. You are destined for great and wonderful impact in the lives of total strangers.
How cool is that? Don't you just love the world wide web?
Fran and Jiff, thank you for caring. Grandmere, thank you for caring and sharing your experience. I value all of your insights.
Jan,
This is a terrific post. Trust is my "broken feather" (I love that!) too, so I really appreciated your honesty and courage in writing this. BTW, you didn't sound at all whiny to me in your previous post, and I'm glad you didn't delete it, because I enjoyed reading it.
Judi
I started reading your most recent and then kept reading to this one. I also fuss about "whining" as I grow in grace... (and had quite a bit of both over the last two weeks.)
Welcome to RevGals!
Deb
Such friends stopping by make me feel so validated. Thank you.
Post a Comment