"An act of love that fails is just as much a part of the divine life as an act of love that succeeds, for love is measured by its own fullness, not by its reception."
When I first found this beautiful quote, I looked up "Harold Loukes" on Google. He was a British Quaker who lived a long life: 1912-1980. He wrote books about Quaker life and education. That is what I have pieced together. Plus, I found something else he wrote that someone quoted:
"We live in a rationalist society that has shed the security of dogmas it found it could not accept, and now finds itself afraid of its own freedom. Some look for an external authority, as they did of old; but in this situation there are many who cannot just go backwards. They ask for an authority they can accept without the loss of their own integrity: they ask to be talked to in a language they can understand... With these people our point of departure is not a mighty proclamation of Truth, but the humble invitation to sit down together and share what we have found, in the spirit of Woolman setting out on his Indian journey, 'that I might feel and understand their life, and the spirit they live in, if haply I might receive some instruction from them.' We approach them without pressure to accept a statement, or with proselytising zeal, but with 'love as the first motion'."
Harold Loukes, 1955
Woolman's instructions about visiting the Indians, "that I might feel and understand their life, and the spirit they live in, if haply I might receive some instruction from them," describe how our group from Oblate School of Theology went to Zambia in June 2006. We prepared ourselves beforehand by reading and learning, and then went to places where Oblates of Mary Immaculate priests had churches and outposts. We were there to learn about the people and help wherever we were needed. Visiting far flung villages, where there were so many orphans from AIDS deaths, our eyes and our hearts were opened. When I saw a two-week old baby lying on a twin-bed in an orphanage for AIDS orphans, I wanted to take care of her. I can still see this baby, who had no parents. So many lost children. Pray for them.
My mind is a muddle of memories--mud huts, no roads, poverty, grandmothers caring for so many children, absence of men in villages, no jobs, children touching my hand. We were always asked, "How are you?" with the person waiting for us to answer.
And we Americans, with all of our resources, ask that and walk away before anyone answers. . . . Is this "love as the first motion?" "Love is measured by its own fullness, not by its reception."
6 comments:
I love the quote. Fullness rather than reception, yes. I have this thing I do when I talk to people, especially people that I do not know or that challenge me in some way. I visualize opening my heart to them and send my heart energy towards them. I have been hurting alot recently because I open my heart like this but I still believe in doing it. This quote is affirming to me.
When I lived in the South Texas Valley, I lived and worked with nuns. There was a quote that I cannot quite remember but it was about approaching other cultures including people living in material poverty. It was something about how it was important to tread carefully because the divine had walked there before you.
Yes, I love the quote as well. Thanks for this post, Jan. I carry such heavy feelings about how Christians have "missionized" others. You're so right. Love must be the first movement.
Beautiful.
I'd love to read more about your travels in the future....
Jan, thank you. Wow what a post.
I loved the quote and I loved reading all about Loukes(did I spell that right?).
His words resonated deeply as I am working on an essay about fear in our society along with critical thinking and internal authority. I will have to read more.
Your journey- how I would love to hear more about that.
Peace to you always.
Thank you, Margaret and Katherine. FranIAm, maybe you'd like to click on my label "Faith Story" to read more about me. It's an ongoing process.
John Woolman is definitely someone I try to emulate, in trying to make love the first motion in all that I do.
You can find books by and about Loukes and many others at quakerbooks.org.
Thanks for this post, Jan. And thanks again for steering me to your daughter's blog.
Suzy, I've never read anything by John Woolman. What you said makes me want to. Any suggestions? I looked on quakerbooks.org and couldn't find any books by Loukes. But I was glad to find that site--thanks!
Post a Comment