Thursday, September 27, 2007

Japanese Maple Tree



It is so hot in south Texas that I am yearning for autumn. I am tired of humid 90+ degree weather when it is almost October. I am tired of (but grateful for) the air conditioner running and running. I am tired of dripping with perspiration. I yearn for the weather that I remember from my youth of school weather. . . .

Here is a picture of leaves of a Japanese Maple tree. My mother had several in her backyard in Bellingham, WA. I had my first one in front of our colonial house with the green door in RI. When we were moving to NJ only weeks after my mother's death, my dear husband CB dug up that Japanese Maple and brought it to our new home in NJ. It was planted in front of our house along the walkway from the driveway. We have pictures of our children taken in front of it.

In Texas first-day-of-school pictures have always been taken in front of our front door. In NJ those pictures were taken in front of the Japanese Maple tree.

We left the little tree there when we moved back to TX in 1994. I hope it is still there. It is lovely all year round, but especially in the fall.

5 comments:

Fran said...

What a lovely and enduring image. I hope the tree is still there too.

The idea of that tree is a very contemplative thought- which is very beautiful indeed.

If it makes you feel any better and it probably doesn't, it has been 80's and so humid these past few days.

Katherine E. said...

I love Japanese Maples, too, Jan. Had one in the front of my "dream" home in Dallas that I left behind to go to seminary. Oh, it was lovely.

The house we have now has a elm tree in the backyard -- it's huge! I love it so much that I've paid over $200 each year to have an arborist come and tell me how it's doing and what it needs to stay alive and healthy. It's over 75 years old, and their life span is not more than that, they say. We'll see. If love from a human makes any difference, it will live a lot longer!

Yes, I'm exhausted from this heat. All told, this summer has been less-horrible than usual, but autumn can never come too soon for me.

Did you get the invitation to the 25th anniversary of the Academy? Looks like it's just a Sunday evening thing.... Are you going? My job situation is not very stable right now, so I'm not sure whether I should make a reservation or not...

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

There is something about trees...sturdy...deep roots...changing...beautiful...providers of shade...the wind wisping through the leaves...

Janis Bland said...

I adore Japanese maples. I hope to incorporate one into our landscaping, after I yank out the hideous stuff in front of and around our house. (My GAWD, do I hate rose-of-sharon, and arbor vitae.)

Katherine, interesting about your elm. I read recently that researchers have developed an American elm resistant to Dutch elm disease. I think this year Home Depot had them. I thought that was wonderful.

Jan said...

Fran, Katherine, and Juanuchis, thanks for coming by. Juanuchis, I'm glad you'll put a Japanese maple in your yard!

Katherine, about the Spiritual Academy--it sounds like it's just one night, so I doubt that I'll go. They didn't say anything about overnight accomodations, so I guess I's just for those few hours. If you wanted to come, we could share a hotel room--but we'll probably see each other at Thanksgiving.