Saturday, September 8, 2007

Home again, home again, jiggedy-jog.

MJ and I are back home again, enjoying the air conditioning. It was hot at the soccer game in San Antonio, but I was merely sitting there under an umbrella! The running and kicking girls were exerting much more effort in the 93 degrees heat from 11 am to 1 pm. Our Express team won 4-1.

At a soccer tournament a few years ago, friends told us that "THE best hamburger in Texas" is at the Oakville Mercantile [exit 65 off IH-37, between Corpus Christi and San Antonio]. Husband CB and I have come to agree. In fact last year when the group going to Zambia came to my house for a pre-trip meeting, they stopped there enroute from San Antonio and heartily concurred.

However, MJ doesn't like those hamburgers, because of the jalapeno buns. So today I got my cheeseburger and she got a barbecued sandwich across the freeway overpass at Van's Barbecue, which is also in Three Rivers, TX. We both were satisfied at 3 pm to eat together, as I brought my to-go burger over to Van's to eat with her.

BUT what will be for dinner at home? We girls are not hungry, but hard-working (remember, he's also "strong and quiet") CB will be! He worked at the Habitat house today and now is next-door at the house he is remodeling.

So as to mention God at Yearning for God, I'll let you know that I prayed the Jesus Prayer driving home, while MJ napped. This made me wonder if anyone who reads this blog has had any experience praying the Jesus Prayer? If you have, please comment about your experiences. Has the prayer ever prayed in your heart?

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, yes.
I pray this prayer frequently.
It prays in me.
It is as near to me as breathing....some days.

Jan said...

Jiff, I want to hear more about this! How long have you been praying the Jesus Prayer? I pray it off and on. I desire to have it pray in me, but I must not be consistent enough. If you ever want to be in a discussion about this, which I would like, please email me!

Michelle said...

Jan...I loved your mantra for surviving teens!! I occasionally use the Jesus Prayer, for me it's a good way to start a late night vigil (I go once a month to a monastery and often sit in the chapel late at night...)

It helps me first focus, then slowly slide out of the driver's seat

June Butler said...

Jan, I have prayed the prayer many times, but it does not pray in me. It's a lovely prayer, but I don't think it's working for me in the same way that I hear others talk about it - the praying in me part.

Fran said...

There was a time in my life Jan, when that prayer was my lifeline. It has been a long time. I might try it again.

I think if it resonates for you, you will know that.

Jiff makes a remark that rang true for the time I was using it- it was like breathing. Very beautiful.

I wish you peace.

Mike Farley said...

Jan - good to meet you, and thanks for your comment on my latest Merton post!

Lovely to find your post on riding home to the Jesus Prayer. Really struck a chord with me, as I've been praying the Prayer for a long time, and yes, I continually find it's been praying itself while I've been doing something else - sleeping, even!

I won't fill up your comments with too much verbiage - you can find my story here and on The Mercy Site.

I see franiam calls the Prayer her lifeline. So it has been for me - quite literally I think, once or twice.