Sunday, September 9, 2007

"Friends of Silence" by Nan Merrill

Many of you are probably familiar with Nan Merrill, author of Psalms for Praying: An Invitation to Wholeness . She also publishes a monthly newsletter that contains quotes from various books and sources that pertain to the contemplative life. She always asks, "Is there enough Silence for the Word to be Heard?" You can subscribe to this by making a donation and writing to:

Friends of Silence
11 Cardiff Lane
Hannibal, MO 63401

You can also purchase

PEACE PLANET: Light For Our World. Small, spiral-bound full-color book published by best-selling author, Nan Merrill, transforms hearts from despair to hope. Hold 198 countries in your hand and heart. One prayer, one photograph, one hope for every country, Afghanistan to Zimbabwe. $15/copy. Postage included. Peace and Prayer Gifts, 200 Rock Street, Hannibal, MO 63401. (573) 406-0646. E-mail: FriendsOfSilence@sbcglobal.net Web site: www.PeaceAndPrayerGifts.com


4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, I want to know more about this!!!
I'll e-mail you soon about the Jesus Prayer, Jan.

Like anything, I think the repetition of something that becomes as near as breathng is what makes a prayer, psalm, mantra live in our hearts and become an experience of grace.

Off to explore the Friends of Silence. Thank you!

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I really like what Nan Merrill writes. I try to use her Psalms in worship when I can. The website also sounds intriguing so thanks for sharing it.

lauraj said...

Thanks for this tip. I love her psalms.

Jan said...

Jiff and Ps, thanks for coming by a few days ago. AND LJ, I am so happy you looked today. I want more and more people to know about Nan Merrill, especially her Peace Planet prayers for the countries of the world!