Today is the Feast Day Of Hildegard Of Bingen as posted on Grandmere Mimi's blog. On Saturday I posted a prayer poem of Hildegard's Awaken Our Hearts! that I found at Mompriest's blog--in a wonderful sermon Called to Wholeness. Both Grandmere's post and Mompriest's sermon post tell us much about Hildegard. I hope you will go there and read about this amazing woman!
Grandmere posted a snippet from Hildegard's writings, which evokes the image of us floating on the breath of the Spirit as a feather:
"Listen: there was once a king sitting on his throne. Around him stood great and wonderfully beautiful columns ornamented with ivory, bearing the banners of the king with great honor. Then it pleased the king to raise a small feather from the ground, and he commanded it to fly. The feather flew, not because of anything in itself but because the air bore it along. Thus am I, a feather on the breath of God."
12 comments:
ooo! Thanks for this!
Welcome to RG. I love to hang clothes on the line, too!!
That was great - thanks Jan!
Hildegard was an amazing woman!
by the way, welcome to Revgals. it seems like you've been around for awhile, somehow:)
You're just now in RG? Thought you'd always been.
Thanks for the introduction to Hildegarde! A truly amazing woman. "...a feather on the breath of God". That rocks.
The idea of faith as an art form is really sweet to me.
Welcome to revgals
Joanna
Mary Beth, Diane, and Presb.Gal, thanks for welcoming me to RG! Thanks to my friend Katherine E., I got introduced to you soon after I started blogging in May. With your kind interest in my posts, we've gotten acquainted, and I feel like I already know some of the RG's.
Fran and Mompriest, glad you stopped by to read about Hildegard!
Funny, Joanna, just as I was thanking the others, you were welcoming me, too. Thank you!
As Diane and PG said, I thought you'd been around for a while, too, but welcome to RevGals officially and Happy Hildegard Day! Four or five years ago when I was a regular participant in a feminist liturgy and discussion group, I put together a wonderful (I think) Hildegard slide show and set some of her words to music--not quite an entire hymn-tune, though I did write a couple of those for the group. Makes me feel this is the time to retrieve both of those...welcome again!
Welcome to the Rev Gals!
Welcome to RevGals to you, too! Thanks for the welcome. I can't wait to get to know everyone better.
Thank you for more welcomes!
Post a Comment