Friday, June 15, 2007

La Leche League

Katherine asked what La Leche League is, and since LLL had such a profound affect on my life, especially as a mother, I want to write a little about it. Basically, La Leche League is a mother-to-mother support group that meets monthly to encourage breastfeeding and loving guidance for discipline (more like, gently promoting natural consequences). Another draw for me was the group library, which contained informative and helpful books about pregnancy, childbirth, infant nutrition and care, breastfeeding, etc.

I started attending meetings when I was pregnant with my first child DC and kept going until my youngest child MJ was in kindergarten (1979-1994). I became a leader the year AE was born (1982). You always bring your baby/toddler/child(ren) with you to meetings, so the children play while the mothers talk and help each other. Through LLL, I learned how to parent, how a baby isn't spoiled by being held, and that breastfeeding is best when done on demand (or the desire of the baby, unless he/she sleeps too much). Without any family nearby (all in Washington), I needed the help and encouragement I received from other moms at LLL, wherever we moved. I also made lifetime friends through LLL.

The LLLI website is http://www.lalecheleague.org/
You can find out how seven mothers in the 1950's started meeting for support, because breastfeeding in the USA was down to 20% and they could find little or no support from doctors, family, or friends. The mission statement of the organization is:

Our Mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.

(From LLLI Policies and Standing Rules Notebook, May 89; rev Apr 93)

3 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

Wow, this takes me back. I wasn't a joiner in those days, but LLL materials and a couple of phone calls were so helpful.

Today at work a new mother was moaning that her dd suddenly wants to nurse nonstop. "Twelve weeks?" a couple of us said. "Go home and nurse all night and all tomorrow and everything will be fine." "I know," she wailed. "But my dh's family is coming for dinner!" "He makes the dinner," I said firmly. "That's his contribution to nursing. He does everything else all week-end and you nurse through this growth spurt."

I hope she felt reassured and supported and is nursing right now!

Jan said...

Hey, it's nice to be getting connected with you, gannet girl! I'm glad you could give such good advice to the new mother (sounds like a growth spurt to me, so the baby needed her mom to make more milk!)

Nancy said...

It was funny to read Katherine saying "What's La Leche League?". I remember when LLL was just about my whole life. (Thanks, Jan, for getting me started).