Saturday, June 16, 2007

On my bulletin board

On my bulletin board are these quotes:

In the way of God,
thoughts count very little.

Love does it all.
~Brother Lawrence

THE REAL WORK

It may be that when we no longer know what to do
we have come to our real work.

and that when we no longer know which way to go
we have come to our real journey.

The mind that is not baffled is not employed.

The impeded stream is the one that sings.
~Wendell Berry

Our faith and our friendships
are not shattered by one big act,
but by many small neglects.
~J. Gustav White

Like the wind searching,
lifting feathers round
the sparrow's neck,
lifting leaves in a wave
across the bean field,
I find no place
where I can say,
here my being ends.
~Colin Oliver

Sustain in me a willing spirit.
~Psalm 51:12


5 comments:

Katherine E. said...

Wow, I especially like the one by Colin Oliver. Thanks for posting.

Jan, question: now that you're in the Episcopal Church are you still considering ordination? What is your diocese like?

Jan said...

Katherine, I'm not really considering ordination. In this diocese, the bishop does not like older women and will not recommend them for the priesthood (and older is in your 40's). That could be a law suit, but by the time that went through, I'd really, really be old!

I am fortunate enough to be at a very liberal parish, which is "A house of prayer for ALL people."

After the talk I gave there, one elderly woman whom I greatly respect keeps telling me to go into the priesthood.

Gannet Girl said...

That bishop's attitude is really disturbing.

I have found the encouragment from older women to be a wonderful and completely unexpected gift.

Katherine E. said...

Yes, the bishop's attitude is deeply disturbing. You would be a wonderful priest, Jan. You ARE a wonderful priest.

Jan said...

GG and Katherine, thank you for your supportive words. Three women are encouraging me. . . .more prayer, more prayer.