Sunday, June 17, 2007

Can't Sleep

It's been Father's Day. I don't have a father anymore or a mother. Oldest son DC came from Austin with his wife AA to visit for Father's Day. They even showed up at the Habitat House groundbreaking/blessing for the next house being built by the Methodist Church! That surprised and pleased us, as their dad is working there three days a week and has organized the volunteers from FUMC. It's always nice to have DC and AA around, because they are bubbley, talkative, and fun together. (DC teases and AA bubbles!)

I'm going to San Antonio tomorrow for the next three days to attend the Oblate Summer Institute at the Oblate School of Theology. A friend is driving with me, and we are going to go to the classes offered. Brian Swimme is the main speaker, and this is said about him:
For mathematical cosmologist Brian Swimme, the universe is a continuous, radiant, numinous revelation. Contemplating the wonders of the unfolding creativity of the cosmos is a mystical, ecstatic, awe-inspiring event.
Workshops will be held conducted by such excellent people as Fr. Ronald Rolheiser (who is now the President of OST), Fr. Kelly Nemeck of Lebh Shomea, and Sr. Sarah Sharkey, my favorite professor at OST.
This event will go on for three days, and I will be there. It will be nice to be back in the OST school grounds again--AND they'll let me use the computers in the library!

2 comments:

Gannet Girl said...

Ronald Rolheiser I know from The Holy Longing -- and now I have other names to google. Have a wonderful time!

Katherine E. said...

Yes, Jan, have a great three days -- we'll expect to hear from you, from those computers in the library! The speakers sound absolutely fascinating. Like GG, I know of Ron Rolheiser; The Holy Longing is one of my favorite books.

Glad you got to visit with DC and AA, and that they got to visit with their "strong, quiet father." He sounds steady as a rock, btw. I guess A is in...she moved to Washington State, didn't she, after Korea?

All three of our kids were in Waco visiting their mom's out-of-town extended family this weekend. Two of them came home on Sunday, though, in time to give D a present and wish him Happy Father's Day. Genuine and Beautiful Drummer girl will be back with us later this week.