By using Zite on my iPhone, I found the formula for a woman's BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). It was startling to find out the rather low number of calories (1300+) I could eat to maintain my weight--if I sat around all the time. Still, it gave me a baseline idea of the number calories for a non-active day.

The Basal Metabolic Rate, or BMR, which is sometimes interchangeable with your resting metabolic rate, is a calculation of the number of calories you burn when using the least amount of energy, such as when you’re asleep. By determining how many calories your body uses when doing nothing, you can establish how many calories you need to take in each day to maintain — not lose — your current weight."
How To Calculating Your BMR:
To calculate your BMR use this formula, which is specifically tailored for women:
655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) – ( 4.7 x age in years ) = BMR
From here.
1 comment:
LOVE the cartoon. It made me laugh out loud. I've decided to quit counting every calorie that goes in my mouth. After menopause, I gained 30 pounds and nothing will make them go away. I eat less calories, no sweets, lots of fiber and I walk for a half hour daily, plus use hand weights and do pilates. NOTHING works, so I've decided that God loves me and wants me to be exactly the way I am. No more diets or calorie counting for me. I'm DONE!! :-) xo
Post a Comment